Writers, you may be wavering. Perhaps you’ve been shopping your manuscript around for a while, not getting a hit with traditional publishers. So you’re considering submitting to small print-on-demand presses like Castle Gate Press. Or should you self-publish?
These days, self-publishing is relatively easy, and some people are making plenty of money at it. Since a publisher will split the proceeds with you, self-publishing seems like a no-brainer. Or does it? Here are some reasons to consider Castle Gate Press:
- As a royalty-paying publisher, we choose your manuscript and take a risk on it with our resources (time spent editing, formatting, uploading, and marketing, along with paying a cover designer, a bookkeeper, and a typesetter).
- While the marketing responsibility belongs to you, we assist and advise. This is similar to what you get at a large publisher, frankly. No longer does any publisher simply do the marketing for you.
- Since the marketing responsibility is yours, the fruit is yours as well. You are building a reader base you can take with you.
- We will enter your manuscripts in major contests and seek reviews in major book review publications. You can’t do that as a self-published author.
- We are skilled editors and will make sure your final product is polished and ready. That’s expensive for a self-published author.
- We work with professional graphic designers who can produce marvelous covers. That may also be expensive for a self-published author.
Since our inbox opened Jan. 1, we’ve received a number of submissions and would love to see more. Look at our submissions guidelines for more information.