- Though I am not a morning person, I write from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m. most days.
- At 2:00, I get presentable and put on makeup.
- I don’t answer the door before 2:00 because I’m not presentable.
- My cat Charcoal lays on a wicker trunk by my desk most days. I call him my muse. See that gray blob by the chaise? That’s him.
- I drink 2 or 3 cups of coffee during my writing time.
- I keep a large insulated tumbler of ice water on my desk and sip. I usually go through two glasses during my writing time.
- When the story stops flowing, I stop and put in a load of laundry or eat lunch.
- I usually eat at my desk, either a sandwich or soup most days.
- I eat chocolate covered coffee beans when I run out of steam.
- I take walks to get unstuck. But not until I’m presentable after 2:00.
- I often find inspiration while putting on my makeup, since I don’t have to think about what I’m doing.
- To unwind or clear my mind between book deadlines, I watch Hallmark movies I’ve recorded.
- I try to finish my first draft a month before my deadline, so I have time for revising before I turn it in.
- My office is beachy and I feel inspired there. I’ve always loved seashealls and pastel colors, so it’s soothing to me.
- When I’m revising a book before I send it to my editor or doing edits my editor has requested, I eat sunflower seeds still in the hull. Simply reading through looking for mistakes or lack of flow makes me sleepy. The sunflower seeds keep me from getting sleepy, but my ankles end up swollen from the salt.
- When I meet a deadline, I reward myself. A dinner with my family, a purchase just for me, or an ice cream sundae. My most recent reward—a wicker chaise lounge. Next time I carve out time to read a book—that’s where I’ll be.
Question for Readers: Do you reward yourself when you complete a task? What do you reward yourself with?
About my new release, Winning Over the Cowboy:
When she inherits half a dude ranch after losing her best friend, Landry Malone is determined to see the ranch’s legacy flourish. That is if her friend’s broad-shouldered cowboy brother will give her the chance. Chase Donovan isn’t happy that his sister left their family business to an outsider—and he’s determined to test Landry’s mettle, hoping she’ll give up her claim. Soon Chase is impressed by Landry’s ability to rise to every challenge he puts in her way—and worried that his attraction to the perky spitfire seems to know no end.
Giveaway details: Comment to enter the drawing for a copy of Winning Over the Cowboy. Eleven copies will be split among names drawn during the blog tour from April 3 -20. One winner will receive a fishing-themed memory board personally crafted by the author. This fabric is special because my son loves to fish as do the characters in the book. Great for displaying kids or grandkids or as a gift for the little fisherman in your life. Deadline April 27th. Winners will be revealed on the author’s blog on April 29th. Go to my website http://shannontaylorvannatter.com and sign up for my newsletter to enter more giveaways and get a free book download.
Follow my blog tour for more chances to win Winning Over the Cowboy:
April 4 – http://stitchesthrutime.blogspot.com/
April 4 – LI Release Party – https://www.facebook.com/events/1858400871097392/?__mref=mb
April 4 & 7 – http://shannontaylorvannatter.com/blog/
April 10 – https://whispersinpurple.blogspot.com/
April 10 – http://www.danarlynn.com/blog/
April 11 – http://brendaandersonbooks.com/blog/
April 13 – http://eahendryx.blogspot.com/
April 13 – http://www.castlegatepress.com/blog/
April 17 – http://www.inspyromance.com/
April 20 – http://seekerville.blogspot.com/
April 20 – http://www.whollyloved.com/blog-1/