I was pondering the fact that, six years into the ebook era, there are zillions of ebooks out there. Bookstores are struggling, and people mostly shop online. Finding readers is quite a challenge, given that there’s so much competition. How will anyone find your book?
But, given the fact that ebooks never die, it’s a problem that’s going to get a whole lot worse. All those books that are out there now will stay out there, and all those new ones will be added. Each year. It’s like adding water to a plugged bathtub. The water just keeps rising and never drains.
Each book will have someone trying to call attention to it. Think it’s noisy now? Just wait.
So, what can you as an author do?
- Get busy on the marketing. There’s no time like the present to make your voice heard.
- Release only your very best work, after it’s been professionally edited, with professional cover. Quality wins.
- Get your book in front of as many potential readers as possible. In the new publishing world, the readers are the gatekeepers. They are the ones who give approval ratings on Amazon, guiding the success of your book. “We are all influencers,” to quote marketing expert LaShaunda Hoffman.
- Find writers who write similar books to yours and work together on marketing. Send deals and raffle invitations to each others’ emailing lists. Realize that as their success increases, so will yours.
- Write a lot. The more you have to offer, the more you’ll please the readers hungry for content like yours.